Paul’s Prayer for the Colossians
There are seven requests in Paul’s prayer for the Colossians that will change lives:
• May we be filled with the knowledge of God’s will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding. We can ask God to lead us to make the precise, exact decisions He wishes us to make.
• May we walk in a manner worthy of Jesus. Upon examination, do our lives bear eternal weight or temporal weight?
• May we please God in all respects. We should always desire to obey God, and there is nothing He requires of you for which He will not equip and strengthen you to accomplish.
• May we bear fruit in every good work. We must actively serve the Lord and make a difference in the lives of those around us.
• May we grow in the knowledge of the Lord. We should never be satisfied that we know enough about Him.
• May we be strengthened with all power according to His glorious might.
Experiencing God’s strength is a matter of knowing it is there and believing it is available to us. We can endure any trial and heartache because of who lives within us.
• May our lives be expressions of joyous thanks to God for His grace to us. We should always be mindful and thankful for the inheritance He has given us with the saints in the light.
Challenge: This kind of praying will take time. When I take time to pray this individually, stopping to focus on a particular area in a loved one’s life, it takes time. But it a contribution of time that costs us nothing in comparrison to the benefits rendered for others. It is work. It is “walk worthy” work. The side effect: This kind of praying will change YOU too! It drains away self preoccupation and absorbs the heart of God for his children.
The commentary is mine. The verses are from the Bible, of course, usually the KJV.